Clean eating is a phrase that gets a lot of attention these days, one without a specific scientific or culinary definition. The overall concept of clean eating is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. Now, this sounds simple enough, but is it realistic for people to accomplish throughout their weight loss journey?
Here are some simple ways to naturally start your clean eating quest:
1. Cook More – The act of cooking and following a recipe empowers you to control exactly what goes into your body. Cooking allows you to cut back on added salt and sugar; to remove preservatives, artificial flavors and colors; and trans fats from your plate.
2. Balance Your Plate – Make half your plate fruits and veggies to guarantee that most of your meal is made from whole foods. Make whole grains your default and refined products the exception. Go lean and clean with at least 5 to 6 ounces of meat per day.
3. Look at the Ingredients – Aim for fewer than 10 ingredients and focus on the first few items listed. Ingredients are listed in order of weight, meaning that the product is made predominantly from the ingredient that is listed first.
4. Know Where Your Food Comes From – Can you trace the produce you eat to the farm it came from? Try to buy produce that is in season and didn’t have to travel more than a few hours to get into your kitchen.
5. Drink More Water – By drinking more water, you will naturally consume less of other beverages that deliver more sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol.
Clean eating is a necessity to healthy lifestyles and losing weight. Fill your pantry with supermarket products, such as whole grains, spices, fresh fruits, veggies, and lean meat. Simply put, make sure to have a large amount of foods that don’t carry a label.