Did you know that 3 out of every 4 people in the world are intolerant to lactose, the main carb in dairy? Despite the result of this research, dairy products are quite nutritious, but remember nutrient composition varies by dairy type. For example, dairy from grass-fed or pasture-raised cows contains more fat-soluble vitamins and beneficial fatty acids.
Here's some of the nutrient content found in a single cup of milk:
• Calcium – 276 mg – 28% of the RDI
• Vitamin D – 24% of the RDI
• Vitamin B2 – 26% of the RDI
• Vitamin B12 – 18% of the RDI
• Potassium – 10% of the RDI
• Phosphorus – 22% of the RDI
Note – RDI means Reference Daily Intake
Here’s some additional health benefits when including dairy into your diet:
• Dairy is the best source of calcium in the human diet which improves bone health, lowering older adults’ risk of fractures and improving bone density.
• Dairy may help to lower risk of obesity in some people.
• Dairy may help to reduce the risk of diabetes for some people.
• Dairy may help to reduce the risk of stroke and other cardiac events.
Dairy products are found to be very nutritious for most people. Including dairy products into your daily diet may improve some health conditions, such as bone health, obesity, diabetes and various cardiac events. Remember the old saying, milk does the body good so drink up!