Did you know that Americans waste more than 40% of their food supply over the course of a year? The average person would not only improve their diet but will save money too if they would start preparing healthy leftovers that could be enjoyed for future meals.
Here’s some tips to use healthy leftovers throughout the week:
• Tip 1: Plan Meals Ahead – When planning your meals for the week, see what ingredients you can incorporate into multiple meals. For example, make soup, stir-fry or tacos.
• Tip 2: Leftovers Equal Ingredients – When you’re looking at your leftovers in the fridge, begin to think about how you can use the leftover items as ingredients to create other healthy meals. For example, lots of veggies can be thrown in a meatloaf or stew.
• Tip 3: Get Creative – Don’t be afraid to experiment with food and have fun.
• Tip 4: Prepare a Stir-Fry – A delicious way to use up leftover veggies and protein is to prepare a healthy stir-fry. Then, top the stir-fry with your favorite sauce.
• Tip 5: Store Leftovers in Clear Containers – Store your leftovers in clear containers so you can see what is in your fridge.
• Tip 6: Don’t be afraid to throw leftovers in the freezer if you don’t think you can get to it. Just portion it out and write the date on it.
• Tip 7: Leftover Night – Designate a day or two as leftover night so you’re able to go through the fridge and use up foods before they spoil.
Creating healthy leftovers helps keep you on track with your diet and saves you money in the long run. Remember, leftovers are perfect for a quick meal whenever you’re short on time. Don’t be afraid to be creative when planning your healthy leftovers.