When you’re trying to lose weight, be careful with eating sweetened yogurt with added fruit or toppings. To be honest, many yogurts have enough added sugar to be considered an after-dinner dessert instead of a healthy snack. Remember, there is additional sugar or salt added to low-fat or low-calorie products in order to improve taste.
Here’s some healthy yogurt options to consider:
• Choose plain yogurt, then add your own fresh fruit or cinnamon spice
• Eat yogurt that is less than 15 grams of total carbohydrates per 8-ounce serving
• Choose low-sugar option Greek yogurt which is higher in protein
• Choose plain yogurt, low-sugar option, then add nuts or seeds of choice
• Avoid artificial sweeteners, food coloring, and aspartame
• Do your research and choose low-fat yogurt options
People are so quick to grab yogurt for a healthy snack option, but beware of the added sugar, fat and excessive calories. Remember, moderation is key when living a healthier lifestyle so take your time and read the nutrition labels before selecting your healthy yogurt options.