Drinking lemon water has some health benefits. Many restaurants serve lemon water routinely and some people start their day with lemon water instead of coffee or tea. There’s no doubt lemons are delicious, but does adding them to water make you healthier?
Here are some of the health benefits from drinking lemon water:
• It promotes hydration. Water is the best beverage for hydration, but some people don’t like the taste of it on its own. Adding lemon enhances water’s flavor, which may help you drink more.
• It’s a good source of vitamin C. Citrus fruits like lemons are high in vitamin C which is a primary antioxidant that helps reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, and lower blood pressure.
• It aids digestion. Drinking warm or hot lemon water when you wake up may help get your digestive system moving.
• It freshens breath. Keep your breath sweeter by drinking a glass of lemon water after meals and first thing in the morning. Lemon is thought to stimulate saliva and water helps prevent a dry mouth which leads to bad breath caused by excess bacteria growth.
• It helps prevent kidney stones. The citric acid in lemons may help prevent calcium kidney stones. Drinking lemon water not only helps you get more citric acid, but also the water you need to prevent kidney stones.
Adding lemon to your water may help you drink more throughout the day to help you stay hydrated which is critical to good health. If you drink it hot, lemon water is a comforting alternative to other hot beverages. If you drink it cold, lemon water is refreshing and energizing. No matter how you enjoy it, lemon water may give you a wellness boost so drink up!
#Health Benefits of Lemons
Copyright 2012,2013,2014 On Topic Media PTY LTD. ABN 18113479226.