In today’s world, getting the proper sleep can be quite difficult. However, sleep deprivation can really affect your weight loss efforts in many ways. Unfortunately, when you lack sleep, you tend to make bad decisions, not being aware of impulse control, and increase comfort food cravings which interferes with weight loss.
Here are some suggestions to get a better night’s sleep:
• Shut down your computer, cell phone, and TV at least an hour before you hit the sack.
• Save your bedroom for sleep and sex. Think relaxation and release, rather than work or entertainment.
• Create a bedtime ritual. It’s not the time to tackle big issues. Instead, take a warm bath, meditate, or read.
• Stick to a schedule, waking up and retiring at the same times every day, even on weekends.
• Watch what and when you eat. Avoid eating heavy meals and alcohol close to bedtime, which may cause heartburn and make it hard to fall asleep.
• Turn out the lights. Darkness cues your body to release the natural sleep hormone melatonin, while light suppresses it.
As you can see, the lack of sleep sets your brain up to make unhealthy decisions which will impact weight loss efforts in a negative way. Follow these suggestions and hopefully you will not have any more late-night experiences.